Do you have an instant pot or an instapot too? Do you absolutely love yours too? I love mine because I usually forget to defrost meat before I want to cook it. So this little appliance is a total time-saver for me. And the fact that it can pressure cook, slow cook and saute in one is perfect, because I only need one contraption taking up prime real estate in my tiny kitchen instead of multiple.
These chicken burrito bowls are super filling and this recipe makes like 8 big servings. The cookbook says 6 servings, but this makes a LOT of burrito bowl yumminess, so unless you’re feeding linebackers, I think you’re going to end up with at least 8 very filling servings. Plus, the recipe is so simple and so full of flavor. You can add whatever toppings you like! I added nutritional yeast (yum) and everything but the bagel seasoning (because that seasoning is life) on my burrito bowls. You could add sour cream, cheese, hot sauce, fresh herbs, whatever your heart desires! 🙂 What do you like on yours??
Wouldn’t it be crazy if I actually made a recipe the way the cookbook says, and I used every ingredient in the right quantity and I followed all the steps outlined so well on the page? It would be so crazy… which is why, of course, I made some teensy weensy mistakes when making these burrito bowls. But, if you make some mistakes like me, I can assure they’ll still taste super yummy 🙂
The biggest mistake, you see, is that I didn’t know chipotle sauce was like a real type of sauce. I thought it was just like a type of hot sauce and since I already have Cholula (shout-out) in my fridge, I didn’t think I needed to get another type of hot sauce! Oops. So the whole first step, about mixing the chipotle sauce with the sour cream and the lime juice, etc. etc. That didn’t happen lol. But it still turned out great and I would totally make this recipe again. Probably with this elusive chipotle sauce next time…
This recipe is so easy. Just dump all the chicken and spices and tomatoes into your instant pot with some broth.
Shred the cooked chicken. [They only had bone-in chicken thighs at the butcher I go to, so I got some bones to make bone broth later hehe]
Pour in the rice, beans and the rest of the broth and cook a little more.
Add everything together and – Voila! A gigantic pot of chicken burrito bowls for everyone. Add toppings as you please. Enjoy 🙂
chicken burrito bowls
from Instant Pot Miracle authorized by Instant Pot
– 1 cup sour cream
– 2 Tbsp chipotle sauce, divided
– 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
– 4 cloves of garlic, minced, divided
– 1/4 tsp sea salt
– 2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken breasts and/or thighs
– 1 (28-oz) can of diced tomatoes
– 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
– 1 cup chopped onion
– 1 tsp course salt
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– 1 (32-oz) container low-sodium chicken broth [or you’re own homemade broth if you’re cool like that]
– 1 (14-oz) box instant whole grain brown rice [I used normal uncooked jasmine rice and it turned out great]
– 2 (14-oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
– 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese [or nutritional yeast or whatever kind of dairy or dairy-free cheese you like]
– snipped fresh cilantro, for topping
Make the Chipotle Sauce:
– In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, 1 Tbsp of the chipotle sauce, lime juice, 1 clove of minced garlic, and 1/4 tsp sea salt. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
Cook the Chicken:
– Place the chicken, diced tomatoes, remaining 1 Tbsp of chipotle sauce, paprika, remaining 3 cloves of minced garlic, onion, course salt, black pepper and 2 cups of the broth in the Instant Pot. Secure the lid on the pot and close the pressure-release valve.
– Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. Once complete, press Cancel and use a quick release to depressurize.
– Carefully remove the chicken from the cooking liquid and place into a bowl.
Cook the Rice & Beans:
– Add the remaining broth, rice and black beans to the cooking liquid.
– Secure the lid on the pot. Close the pressure-release valve. Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Once complete, press Cancel and use a quick release to depressurize.
Shred the Chicken:
– While the rice cooks, use two forks to shred the chicken.
Put it All Together:
– Add the shredded chicken to the pot once the rice & beans are done. Stir everything to combine.
– To serve, spoon into bowls and top with cheese, chipotle sauce, cilantro and whatever else you like!