When I lived away from my parents for the first time during college, they bought me this cookbook full of vegetarian recipes to make in a slow cooker. It was so convenient because most of the recipes are pretty simple, and I could find all the ingredients at the Trader Joe’s just a couple blocks away. And best of all, I could start the soup in the morning and come back home after classes to a delicious, fresh, hot meal!
I’ve probably made at least half the recipes in this book while I was away at college and I would write in the book about how each recipe turned out. I would include notes if I substituted or changed anything, and I’d give it a rating from zero to four stars. There were just two recipes that I made from this book (so far) that earned a full four-stars. So I decided to give one of them another whirl as part of my ongoing quest to make at least one recipe from all of the cookbooks that sit so lonely and unused on my bookshelf. I originally made this curried sweet potato and carrot soup on May 19, 2014. Wow, memories! Six years ago, I wrote, “SO DELICIOUS! One of my favorite recipes in this book. Makes so much soup & you can taste all the delicious ingredients. It’s sweet & savory & comforting. Make again just like this!!” Do I agree now with my 20-year-old self? Sort of lol. This soup is tasty, but I don’t know if it’s as good as I thought it was back then! I could have just been starving or high or just not as accustomed to good food since I was primarily eating cheerios, bubble tea and whatever came out of my slow cooker. But none the less, I do like this soup a lot and if you’re in the mood for a light, warming soup, give this one a go 🙂
You can put whatever toppings you want on this soup! The recipe suggests candied ginger. But I like shredded coconut or pumpkin seeds or labneh. It’s really good plain too. Or whatever your heart desires 🙂 Or whatever you have left in your pantry during quarantine!
I made my own beef bone broth and used that in this recipe. That’s why it might look weird in the photo lol. To keep this meal vegan, you can use vegetable broth. I highly recommend you to make your own bone or vegetable broth because it’s super nutritious and it puts kitchen scraps like onion skins, vegetable peels, the stems of herbs, to good use!
curried sweet potato and carrot soup
from Crock-Pot Vegetarian Recipes by Crock-Pot
– 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (~ 5 cups)
– 2 cups baby carrots
– 1 small onion, chopped
– 3/4 tsp curry powder
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
– 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
– 1/4 tsp ground ginger
– 4 cups vegetable broth
– 3/4 cup half-and-half [I use coconut milk & it turns out great]
– 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
– candied ginger, for garnish (optional)
– Combine the sweet potatoes, carrots, onion, curry powder, salt, pepper, cinnamon and ginger in a slow cooker.
– Add the broth and mix everything together.
– Cover and cook on low for ~ 7 to 8 hours.
– Blend the soup until it’s smooth, using an immersion blender. Or if you’re using a stand-blender, let the soup cool and blend it in batches.
– Stir in the coconut milk and maple syrup.
– Reheat the soup if you had to cool it to blend it, by turning the slow cooker on high for ~ 15 minutes.
– Ladle into bowls, top with a few pieces of candied ginger, or whatever topping you want. [I’ve personally never put candied ginger on my soup, so I don’t know how this tastes – let me know!] and enjoy! <3