What other excuse do you need to make these cookies other than they basically taste like warm, raw cookie dough?! Make them. Right now.
These cookies are from The I <3 Trader Joe’s Vegetarian Cookbook by Kris Peters. It’s full of recipes that use products from Trader Joe’s. Since we’re all on corona-craze, there is literally no baking powder to be found on any grocery store shelves. So I improvised (aka I begged google to give me an alternative solution.)
Apparently, if you don’t have baking powder, you can create a substitute with baking soda and vinegar. Who knew?! How accurate is this substitute exactly? I don’t know, but these cookies turned out addicting, so I think it worked out alright. So if you find yourself in the same position, you can substitute 1/4 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp vinegar for each 1 tsp of baking powder in a recipe. BUT this isn’t an exact substitution, because while baking powder is basically baking soda plus an acid, there are a lot of other factors at play. Confused? Check out Alton Brown’s video that explains the difference between baking soda and baking powder.
Also, I thought I was totally improving my baking skills when I was taking notes on how the recipe turned out and I was like, hmm, I bet it’d be even better if you used mini chocolate chips in these cookies, because normal-size chocolate chips are a bit too overbearing for this tiny nibbles. But then I read the recipe again, and of course, it said CHOPPED chocolate chips. Somehow I missed that when I was baking them lol. Oh well, they still turned out good. And I tried. :p
vegan cashew nibble cookies
from The I <3 Trader Joe’s Vegetarian Cookbook by Kris Peters.
– 1 cup Trader Joe’s Raw Whole Cashews
– 5 Trader Joe’s Fancy Medjool Dates
– 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour [I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour Blend]
– 2 Tbsp Trader Joe’s Organic Evaporated Cane Juice Sugar
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 2 Tbsp mild oil
– 2 Tbsp Trader Joe’s Organic Blue Agave Sweetener
– 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
– 1/4 to 1/3 chopped semi-sweet chocolate chips
– In two small bowls, soak the cashews and the dates separately in warm water for ~ 1 hour.
– In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
– Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
– Drain the cashews and blend in a food processor for ~ 1 or 2 minutes, until it becomes crumbly.
– Drain the dates and add them to the cashews and blend in the food processor until it becomes a paste.
– Add the oil, agave and vanilla to the dates & cashews. Pulse until it’s all mixed together.
– Add the flour mixture in two batches, until a soft dough forms.
– Scoop the dough into the mixing bowl and fold in the chopped chocolate chips.
– Round the dough into ~ 1 tsp balls on the baking sheet. Set each dough ball at least 1/2 inch apart. Press down the top of each cookie with the back of a spoon to flatten them a bit.
– Bake until golden brown, ~ 8 min.
– Let cool for at least ~ 5 min.
– Enjoy! 😀