Happy National Doughnut Day this Friday, June 5th! If you’re craving donuts (like me… every day of the year tbh) and if you don’t want to splurge on those delicious fried pieces of heaven, then try out these healthier cinnamon roll donuts! They have yogurt in them and they’re baked! Healthy(er)(ish). Yay! 😉
I actually found a plethora of healthier donuts on the internet.
You can check out Brit+Co’s list of 15 healthy donuts, which is where I found this greek yogurt cinnamon roll donut gem. Let me say that again. CINNAMON ROLL DONUT. That’s like the two best sweet-tooth breakfasts smushed into one!
Or you could go the full vegan donut route and opt for any one of these bad-boys-turned-vegan-but-still-naughty.
Maybe instead you just want your donuts baked but you don’t care how much sugar gets in there? King Arthur Flour has three baked donuts recipes that will not disappoint you!
Heck, you might just decide to jump in your car and drive over to your local donut shop instead. No shame there. You’re doing your part to support the local economy. Good for you!
Or maybe you just want an excuse to get free donuts. That’s okay too. Here’s a list of eight popular donut places dishing out freebies on June 5th!
What is your favorite donut ever? Mine is the poi donut from Liliha Bakery in Honolulu. They are so. incredibly. delicious. Why do I live so far away from youuu, delicious poi donut yumminess?! If you ever get a chance to go to Oahu, you have to try them. Mail me a thank-you post card! 😀
I <3 DONUTS
Also, do you ever wonder what the heck is the difference between donut and doughnut? The “official dictionary spelling” is doughnut. But a simplified spelling of the word as “donut” started popping up in the late 1800’s and caught on to our everyday language in the late 1900’s. Now ya know!
greek yogurt cinnamon roll donuts
recipe slightly adapted from Damn Delicious
– ¾ cup gluten free flour blend [I used Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Baking Blend]
– ¼ cup sugar
– 2 Tbsp cornstarch
– 1 tsp baking powder
– ½ tsp ground cinnamon
– ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
– ¼ tsp sea salt
– ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
– 2 Tbsp milk or nut milk
– 1½ tsp apple cider vinegar
– 1 large egg
CINNAMON SUGAR SWIRL
– 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
– ⅓ cup dark brown sugar, packed
– 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
– 2 tsp milk or nut milk
VANILLA CREAM CHEESE GLAZE
– ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
– 2 Tbsp cream cheese, at room temperature
– 1 to 2 Tbsp milk or nut milk
– ½ tsp vanilla extract
– Preheat the oven to 325°F. Coat a donut pan with coconut oil or nonstick spray.
Make the cinnamon sugar swirl:
– Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave at 30 second intervals.
– Mix in the brown sugar, cinnamon and nut milk.
– Pour 1 tsp of the cinnamon sugar swirl in each donut space, spreading it out in an even layer.
Make the donut batter:
– In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
– In another bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, melted butter, milk, apple cider vinegar and the egg.
– Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Mix with a rubber spatula just until there is no more dry flour visible.
– Divide the batter evenly among the spaces in the donut pan.
– Bake for ~ 8 minutes, until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
Prepare the vanilla glaze:
– Beat the confectioners’ sugar, cream cheese, milk and vanilla extract either with an electric mixer or with a strong arm.
– Blend until the glaze is smooth. If it’s too thick, add more milk as needed to thin it out.
– Let the donuts cool for 10 minutes before popping them out of the donut pan and drizzling with the glaze.
– If you can muster the patience, allow the glaze to set before serving.
– Enjoy! <3
NOTE: These are best made in a dount pan. I had some leftover batter since my donut pan only holds six donuts, so I baked the leftover batter in a small tin. It took over twice as long to bake through and it became so chewy that it was basically cinnamon roll-flavored gum. Just a word to the wise from my experience.