I LOVE making falafel because they are an easy way to meal prep for some vegan protein. And when you bake them, instead of frying them, they are the key to simple and healthy meal prep! Just blend, shape and bake. 😉
Falafels are pretty versatile, depending on the spices you like. And the toppings are endless! I like my falafel with hummus and pita bread and some sort of salad, either cucumbers or tabbouleh. You can even make a falafel bowl, a falafel wrap, a falafel salad, whatever suites your fancy!
Store them in an airtight container for up to 4 days. In less than no time, you’ll have yourself some healthy, vegan, protein-packed meals for the week!
what the heck
– 2 cups cilantro
– 1 cup red onion
– 4 cloves garlic, peeled
– 1 tsp cumin
– 1 tsp za’atar
– ¼ tsp red cayenne
– ½ tsp ground cloves
– salt & pepper
– 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas
– ¼ cup panko bread crumbs [use gluten free panko bread crumbs if you want to keep this gluten free]
– 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
how the heck
– Preheat the oven for 450°F.
– Drain the chickpeas [reserve the liquid from the can, aka aquafaba, for tons of other uses!] and give them a rinse in water.
Let the chickpeas drain over a bowl or sink while you get the rest of the ingredients ready.
– Combine everything in a food processor except the chickpeas, panko bread crumbs and olive oil. Pulse until it is all finely chopped.
– Add the chickpeas and pulse until it forms a thick and chunky paste.
– Scrape everything from the food processor into a mixing bowl.
– Add the panko bread crumbs and stir everything to combine.
– Form the mixture into balls, using about 2 Tbsp each to form 12 balls. Arrange them on a baking tray as you form them.
– Use the palm of your hand to flatten each ball slightly, so the tops and bottoms of each falafel are flat.
– Brush olive oil on each patty.
– Bake for ~ 20 to 25 minutes, until they are crisp. Flip them all over halfway through baking.
– Enjoy! Serve with pita bread, tzatziki, olives, cucumbers, tabbouleh, hummus, whatever you like! <3