Did you ever read the Choose Your Own Adventure books growing up? I remember there were a few in my elementary school library. When I was a kid, I thought it was just the bee’s knees to be able to direct the story the way you wanted it to go. And you could read the book over and over again, with a new adventure each time!
Of course, I love going on adventures outside of books too. A day trip to a new beach town, a hike along forested trails without a map, a plane ride to a far off land full of new faces, flavors and history. Just think – some of the very best adventures in this life are yet to come!
One of the simplest joys of adventuring that I’ve found is a nice long hike. Meandering through trees, trekking up the side of a mountain, cooling off barefoot in a river. Listening to nothing other than the birds chirping, the water trickling by and the strong swish of the trees above your head swaying in the wind. Ahh everything is bliss and peace. Until your tummy starts grumbling. *Pfew!* After all this hard work adventuring and enjoying the views, you might find yourself with a mountainous appetite! Cue the stage for DIY trail mix!
Making your own DIY trail mix is as simple as reading a Choose Your Owner Adventure book. You can literally put whatever you want in yours! Just remember to not put anything in your adventure pack that could (1) stink, (2) melt, or (3) explode.
Pick some goodies from each of the following three categories and you are on your way to an epic (and well-fueled) adventure! Bon Voyage my fellow adventurer! <3
pick some protein
– pumpkin seeds
– sunflower seeds
– meat or vegetarian dried jerky
– Brazil nuts
– macadamia nuts
– hemp seeds
pick some sweets
– banana chips
– dried apricot
– dried mango
– dried berries
– dark chocolate or peanut butter chips (if you aren’t going somewhere hot)
– dried ginger
– gummy bears
pick some extra flavor
– mini pretzels
– popped popcorn
– coconut flakes
– cacao nibs
– dry cereal
– puffed rice
– chili powder
– chocolate-covered coffee beans
– wasabi peas
Some ideas for your Choose Your Own Adventure DIY Trail Mix…
1. BEACH DAY – macadamia nuts, hemp seeds, banana chips, dried mango, coconut flakes.
2. MOUNTAIN CLIMB – walnuts, almonds, raisins, cranberries, granola, chocolate-covered coffee beans.
3. INTO THE FOREST – cashews, almonds, dried blueberries, mini pretzels, puffed rice cereal.
4. CAMPFIRE – pecans, dark chocolate, marshmallows, popped popcorn.
5. PB & J – peanuts, peanut butter chips, dried strawberries, dried cherries.
6. PB & B – peanuts, peanut butter chips, dark chocolate, banana chips, coconut flakes.
7. DRIVE-IN MOVIE – m&m’s, raisins, peanut butter chips, popped popcorn, pretzels.
8. PUMPKIN PATCH HAY RIDE – pumpkin seeds, pecans, dark chocolate chips, cinnamon, dried cherries.
9. SPICY – cashews, coconut flakes, wasabi peas, ground cumin, dried ginger.
10. SALT OF THE EARTH – peanuts, sunflower seeds, mini pretzels, puffed rice, wasabi peas.