Why Halloween is the Worst

Why I Hate Halloween

Ok, I actually don’t “hate” Halloween. But let me tell you why Halloween is the worst holiday these days. First, let me say that I truly have tons of fun and happy memories around this time of year. I love carving a hand-picked pumpkin from the pumpkin patch every year. I cherish memories of trick-or-treating until an entire year’s supply of candy is hoarded in a pillow case. But my family has been obsessed with Halloween decorations since I was a baby. And I don’t mean the silly pumpkins and the cute witches. I’m talking about the severed heads with the brains and tongues spewing out. The day after Halloween, they are in the stores buying all the half-price decorations to plan for next year. A whole 364 days early!!

Basically, the reason why Halloween is my least favorite holiday (is that a nicer way to say it?) is because of how gosh darn scary it is! Autumn is a magical, marvelous time of the year! Pumpkin-flavored-everything, hay rides, colorful leaves falling like confetti, apple picking, and kitchens being filled with warm foods again, like cornbread and chili!! Why do we have to celebrate with blood splattered on a ghost who’s ready to suck out your soul? (I’ve seen this animatronic in the Halloween store this year – I’m not making this stuff up.)

This year, I decided to make my own happy and cute decorations, and a healthier version of Halloween candy. Cue the sparkles and dancing unicorns! Also, if you want to laugh your face off, watch this adorable four-year-old explain all the reasons why Halloween is so overrated.

Cuter Decorations

I’ll never forget that time I was walking through my dark home in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and nearly had a heart attack because a ghost decoration was lurking in the corner. Or that time I nearly peed my pants because the animatronic outside that was supposed to be turned off was suddenly going off non-stop. Gah!!
So this year, I made cute and funny decorations for Halloween. Say hello to a pumpkin decorated like she’s having a spa day… not like it’s time for a pumpkin blood bath. Just look at that sweet little pumpkin deer! And who doesn’t adore a hilarious and self-deprecating letterboard quote? I love it.

Healthier Halloween Candy

These candied pear slices are delicious. They taste like healthy fruit taffy, or like a more candy-version of a fruit roll-up. They are super simple to make and tasty for the whole family. You can even dye them different colors, using food coloring or natural food dyes, like turmeric, beets and blueberries. I think they resemble delicate stained glass pieces in the sunlight. This version of Halloween candy is way healthier (and cheaper) than what you find at the grocery stores!

Candied Pear Chips

Here's a healthier alternative to Halloween candy! Pears are in season in Autumn and these candied pear chips taste like delicious fruity taffy.
Course Snack
Cuisine American
Keyword candied fruit, candy, chip, Halloween, healthy, pear, taffy
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 2 hours 15 minutes
Soaking Time 1 hour
Total Time 3 hours 20 minutes
Author strawberryandcream

Ingredients

• 2 pears
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 cups water
  • food coloring (optional) you can use food coloring or natural food dye, like turmeric, beets or blueberries

Instructions

• Slice the pears into ⅛-inch slices on a mandolin or with a sharp knife.
  • If you're making all the pears one color (or not coloring them), pour all the sugar and water into one pot and set it on the stove to simmer.
    If you're making the pears two different colors, pour half the sugar and half the water in one pot and the other half the sugar and water in a separate pot. Set both on the stove to simmer. Add the food coloring to dissolve.
  • Once all the sugar is dissolved and once all the food dye (if using) is evenly distributed, add in the pear slices and simmer for 15 minutes.
    Turn off the heat and let the pear slices soak in the syrup for one hour.
  • Preheat the oven to 250°F.
    Remove all the pear slices from the syrup and lay them without overlapping on a baking sheet.
  • Bake the pear slices for one hour.
    Remove the baking sheet from the oven and flip all the pear slices over and turn the baking sheet 180° when you put it back in the oven, so the pear slices that were at the back are now at the front, for even baking.
    Bake for another 30 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on how soft & chewy (30 minutes) or harder like taffy (45 minutes) you want your candied pear. Keep an eye on them during this last baking session, to make sure none of the smaller/thinner slices burn.

26 thoughts on “Why Halloween is the Worst

1. I agree! I don’t care for Halloween I’d much rather decorate with pumpkins and the basic fall kind of stuff and besides Halloween is actually based from witchcraft.

Yes, bring on the cute pumpkins!!! hehe

2. strawberryandcream – Hello! I am on an epic adventure to learn how to cook and bake. So far I have only given myself food poisoning twice and made myself sick about a half a dozen other times. I am notorious for making poor substitutions, being clumsy in the kitchen & getting sent to the ER, and creating food that just looks downright nasty. But alas! I will prevail and learn how to master the art of feeding myself! :)

Hahaha! Pumpkin everythinggg! I definitely recommend trying these candies pears, they taste like healthier fruity candy and are super delicious

3. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

Okay, this is a much better and cuter take on halloween! x

Hehe thank you!!!

1. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

Of course x

THANK YOU!!

Lol! I gotchu, I know what you meant

4. I love your decorations! And yeah, Halloween isn’t the greatest time. But I like horror and thriller movies. All that horror should just be saved for the movies.

Omg you are brave, I can’t even watch scary movies without getting nightmares! do you have a favorite horror movie?

1. I liked Parasite, Insidious, Conjuring/Annabelle universe, Shutter (not the American remake), Sinister – that one was really scary. It is known to be the ultimate scariest movie ever made, according to science. They measured and evaluated people’s heartrate throughout a series of movies. People’s heartrate went up to 131!

OMG!! Note to self, never watch that or I’ll never be able to sleep in the dark again

I will have to take your word for it! I’m too much of a scaredy cat to watch even the old Goosebumps series from the 90’s

5. me too! I love the fun kids Disney movie kinda Halloween. I don’t like creepy scary stuff at all!

Yes!! Even Hocus Pocus and Nightmare Before Christmas sometimes give me the heebie-jeebies!!

6. I love horror shows but I am the only one in my family except for my son. Unfortunately he is grown. Loved the pear recipe and I never thought about coloring them. I do this with apples and dry them in my dehydrator.

You are so brave to love watching them! Lol When I get my hands on a dehydrator, I will have to try that method!

7. thewheelchairteen – I am a black, disabled teenager living in the Netherlands, book nerd and film fanatic. I love blogging about my own crazy life and expressing my opinions about the society around me :)
    thewheelchairteen says:

I don’t celebrate Halloween either. I don’t like sweets and the rest just isn’t for me – so I really loved your creative take on the Holiday! Those pumpkins looked so cute, and that pear looks as if it tastes ten times better than everything that the factories churn out these days.

Aww thank you! That’s so sweet! Did you do anything on Halloween? (I ate a slice of chocolate cake by the water and was in bed early )

Thank you for reading!!