Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples

Colder Weather Is Here

Hello there! How has your weather been? Have you turned to more roasted veggies (I made Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples) now that the colder weather is blasting in? Here in Oregon, I feel like the temperature took a nose dive and my morning walks are now in 40°F. I broke out my wool gloves and beanie already! The cold weather always feels like a surprise to me. Like la-dee-da, I’m just enjoying the heat of summer and sunshine and *wham!* Did someone leave the AC on outside?? SHEESH!

But cold weather brings quieter mornings and an abundance of wildlife roaming the nature paths near my home. I feel so giddy when I spot a mama deer and her adorable babies eating apples that fell to the ground. I’m entranced when I spot a stoic stag guarding his turf, as if he had a real chance to stop the humans from impending on his home. And you can’t ignore the busy squirrels. They bustle about in search of their hoard of nuts for the coming winter. <3

Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples

I LOVE roasted veggies. I could eat roasted brussels sprouts and potatoes all. day. long. You might find me popping them in my mouth like they were Pringles potato chips. It’s true – you can never have just one. When roasted in the oven, both brussels sprouts and potatoes get really tender on the inside, but crispy on the outside. YUMMY, is all I have to say. 🙂 This tender/crispy combo pairs really well with crunchy texture of the apples and the chewy texture of the [vegan] sausage. It’s like a salty, spicy, sweet and umami explosion in your mouth.
If you live in a region where you can go apple picking, throw some of those apples in this dish! We went apple picking by the mountains the other week. And when you hand pick some of your food, it always seems to taste that much better.
This recipe is super simple to make, and no matter what the weather throws at you, a warm plate of roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts with sausage and apples will make your day. <3

P.S. Did you know that brussels sprouts had an “s” at the end of “brussels”? I had no clue until I was typing this post! That’s 26 years of living a lie! I love them just the same. :p

Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Sausage and Apples

Embrace Fall with roasted veggies, flavorful sausage and warm apples!
Course Main Course
Cuisine American
Keyword 5 ingredients or less, apples, brussel sprouts, dairy free, fall, gluten free, meal prep, potatoes, roasted, roasted veggies, sausage, vegan, vegetarian
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 people
Author strawberryandcream

Ingredients

• 2 medium russet potatoes or sweet potatoes
  • 1.5 lbs brussels sprouts
  • 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 13 oz sausage or vegan sausage, sliced into ½ inch slices
  • 2 medium apples, chopped into bite-sized chunks
  • 3 Tbsp your favorite seasoning blend, divided

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  • Scrub the potatoes under running water and chop them into bite-size chunks.
  • Rinse the brussels sprouts, trim off the woody stems and slice them in half.
  • In a bowl or on a baking sheet, mix together the potato chunks, brussels sprouts halves, 3 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of your favorite seasoning blend (steak or chicken seasoning, Italian seasoning, chipotle or creole seasoning, etc.)
    Spread out the potatoes and brussels sprouts on the baking sheet so they aren't overlapping.
  • Bake for 45 minutes, until the tubers and veggies are easily pierced with a fork, and a little crispy on the outside.
  • As the potatoes and brussels sprouts finish roasting, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive in a dutch oven on medium-high heat.
    Add the sausage slices and cook until both sides of the sausage slices are browned and a little crispy, about 5 minutes.
  • Add the apple chunks and remaining 1 Tbsp of the seasoning blend into the dutch oven and cook until the apples are warmed through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
  • Add the roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts in with the sausage and apple. Mix everything together and enjoy!

31 thoughts on “Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples

1. Alison – Perth – Hi A nanny of two and a mum of two adult children, mum to two fur babies and wife of one. I love to travel and up until recently travelled the world, now exploring Western Australia! I play bridge, board games, read dance and blog in my spare time.
    Alison says:

Sounds yummy ..will give it a go
    It’s the opposite here in Perth Australia ..we’re saying goodbye to winter and hello to summer

That is so mind-boggling to think about! Do you still have snowman and snowflake Christmas decorations?

Alison says:

Yes it’s weird ..I never feel very Christmassy here but I still have a tree and ham

A treealways helps me feel festive.

Alison says:

And now I have two grandchildren will have to make it very festive

Aww congratulations! I Hope the holidays are extra special for your grandchildren this year!

2. Roast vegetables like this are one of my favourites too especially with the vegan sausage. I have never included an apple but that sounds like a delicious addition and will have to try that. Have started serving mine with a lemon tahini sauce which I find works well for almost any vegetable.

Vegan sausage is the best! Usually I add a spicy chorizo flavor but this dish tastes really good with a milder kielbasa flavored vegan sausage they have in the grocery stores here too
      Ooh I love tahini – that sounds really good on roasted veggies, I’ll have to try that!
      Do you have a favorite roasted veggie?

1. It is great that there is so much choice with the vegan sausage available these days. I think I would have to say that Brussel sprouts are my favourite and partly because they are a veggie I would originally never have thought to roast but it turns out they are so good!

Roasted brussels sprouts are a hidden gem and so underrated in my opinion! Roasted broccoli is a tie for my favorite, I’ll the floret ends get deliciously crispy, just like the putter layers of brussels sprouts

Me too!! Roasting veggies caramelizes their natural sugars so (1) I get my veggies and (2) it tastes closer to candy than raw veggies. Win-win!

3. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

What a lovely post! Your pictures are just heartwarming. Such sweet captures. Roasted potatoes with Brussel sprouts, apples and sausage sounds like an interesting combo of flavours. A bit of sweet and some savoury to balance it all out! Despite it technically being summer here in Sydney, we are also getting back into roasts. Yesterday was lamb with baked carrots, potato and pumpkin. Fairly fitting for the cold days we’ve been surprised with.

Thank you! What kind of wildlife do you get to see in Sydney?
      Your roast sounds really good! I didn’t grow up eating lamb so it’s not a flavor I’m used to but I love any and everything pumpkin this time of year!

Lol! Part of what’s in my fridge that I need to use up plus part of flavors that I’m craving
      Let me know how it goes!

Roasted veggies are my favorite! Forget boiling or steaming, caramelizing them in the oven is the way to go Do you have a favorite roasted veggie?

1. I totally agree! I love them all but carrots and sweet potatoes are 2 of my favorite roasted vegetables. ok and broccoli

Omg roasted sweet potato is sooooo gooooood! Just add a little cinnamon and I swear it tastes like healthy pumpkin pie

Some of the brands out there are delicious! let me know if you try them! Just check the ingredients if you have a gluten intolerance though because a lot of them use vital wheat gluten

4. I have a bag of classic baby creamer potatoes that are just asking to be tossed into a hot oven. I also have some asparagus and mushrooms I could mix in for a bit of variety. Roasted veggies are not quite the same here in 80 degree Hawaii weather but tasty just the same. Thanks for the wonderful photos of the Oregon wildlife and recipe.

Lol! Maybe enjoy your roasted veggies in front of the AC or a fan for the same effect Glad you are finding lots of wildlife I. Hawaii with those cute pigs!

Thank you!!!

Me too! Let me know how it goes!