Colder Weather Is Here
Hello there! How has your weather been? Have you turned to more roasted veggies (I made Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples) now that the colder weather is blasting in? Here in Oregon, I feel like the temperature took a nose dive and my morning walks are now in 40°F. I broke out my wool gloves and beanie already! The cold weather always feels like a surprise to me. Like la-dee-da, I’m just enjoying the heat of summer and sunshine and *wham!* Did someone leave the AC on outside?? SHEESH!
But cold weather brings quieter mornings and an abundance of wildlife roaming the nature paths near my home. I feel so giddy when I spot a mama deer and her adorable babies eating apples that fell to the ground. I’m entranced when I spot a stoic stag guarding his turf, as if he had a real chance to stop the humans from impending on his home. And you can’t ignore the busy squirrels. They bustle about in search of their hoard of nuts for the coming winter. <3
Roasted Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts with Sausage and Apples
I LOVE roasted veggies. I could eat roasted brussels sprouts and potatoes all. day. long. You might find me popping them in my mouth like they were Pringles potato chips. It’s true – you can never have just one. When roasted in the oven, both brussels sprouts and potatoes get really tender on the inside, but crispy on the outside. YUMMY, is all I have to say. 🙂 This tender/crispy combo pairs really well with crunchy texture of the apples and the chewy texture of the [vegan] sausage. It’s like a salty, spicy, sweet and umami explosion in your mouth.
If you live in a region where you can go apple picking, throw some of those apples in this dish! We went apple picking by the mountains the other week. And when you hand pick some of your food, it always seems to taste that much better.
This recipe is super simple to make, and no matter what the weather throws at you, a warm plate of roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts with sausage and apples will make your day. <3
P.S. Did you know that brussels sprouts had an “s” at the end of “brussels”? I had no clue until I was typing this post! That’s 26 years of living a lie! I love them just the same. :p
Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Potatoes with Sausage and Apples
- 2 medium russet potatoes or sweet potatoes
- 1.5 lbs brussels sprouts
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 13 oz sausage or vegan sausage, sliced into ½ inch slices
- 2 medium apples, chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 3 Tbsp your favorite seasoning blend, divided
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Scrub the potatoes under running water and chop them into bite-size chunks.
- Rinse the brussels sprouts, trim off the woody stems and slice them in half.
- In a bowl or on a baking sheet, mix together the potato chunks, brussels sprouts halves, 3 Tbsp of olive oil and 2 Tbsp of your favorite seasoning blend (steak or chicken seasoning, Italian seasoning, chipotle or creole seasoning, etc.)Spread out the potatoes and brussels sprouts on the baking sheet so they aren't overlapping.
- Bake for 45 minutes, until the tubers and veggies are easily pierced with a fork, and a little crispy on the outside.
- As the potatoes and brussels sprouts finish roasting, heat the remaining 1 Tbsp of olive in a dutch oven on medium-high heat. Add the sausage slices and cook until both sides of the sausage slices are browned and a little crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Add the apple chunks and remaining 1 Tbsp of the seasoning blend into the dutch oven and cook until the apples are warmed through, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the roasted potatoes and brussels sprouts in with the sausage and apple. Mix everything together and enjoy!