It’s one of those things where people either love it or hate it. Some people love it and no matter what time they wake up, they need to eat something in the realm of “breakfast food”. Others will skip breakfast entirely, maybe just opting for black coffee.
I grew up on the classic cold cereal and milk as a kid. Lucky Charms, Cocoa Puffs, Rice Krispies, Fruit Loops – all the classics. But on weekends, I would wake up to my dad’s heavy footsteps in the kitchen, as he cooked pancakes or French toast for everyone. Breakfast as a family was (and still is) my favorite meal to enjoy together. Taking time to slow down in the morning and start the day with yummy food and connectedness to loved ones can’t be beat.
This PB & J pancake cake is the perfect breakfast for the family or when you want to meal prep your morning meal for the week. It bakes in just 30 minutes. And you don’t have to stand over a skillet flipping pancakes every few minutes! More time to sleep in!!
Inspiration for the Pancake Cake
This recipe is inspired by Nadiya Hussain’s peanut butter and jelly traybake. I love Nadiya’s recipes because they are simple and quick. Her recipes are perfect for giving you more time to spend time with family and do the things you love. And what’s not to love about the combination of two classics – peanut butter & jelly combined with pancakes!? I tweaked the recipe to have a more fluffy and cakey texture. So this also makes the perfect snacking cake!
Next Level Breakfast
If you want to take breakfast to the next level, set aside a few hours for the best French toast ever. Brioche bread, heavy cream infused with orange, cinnamon and vanilla, soaked twice in custard… can you say, YUM?! I can’t, because there’s too much drool in my mouth to say anything.
But this PB & J pancake cake is a quick and delicious breakfast for the family. Drizzle on maple syrup, plop on some fresh berries, and dust it with some powdered sugar to elevate this breakfast.
PB & J Pancake Cake
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil or vegetable oil, plus more to grease the baking dish
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 3 Tbsp jelly or jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 11 x 7 (or similar size) baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Add the eggs, melted coconut oil or vegetable oil, vanilla extract, milk and yogurt. Stir everything to combine it into a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish. Dollop small spoonful amounts of the peanut butter and jelly or jam onto the cake and stir it with a toothpick or the handle end of a spoon to make a swirl pattern.
- Bake in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean from the center. Slice it up and serve it with butter and maple syrup or powdered sugar on top for breakfast!