Holiday in Hawaii – Dec 2020 – Part 1

On Thanksgiving, I had the amazing privilege to travel to the island of Oahu in Hawaii. My parents moved there for my dad’s job a couple years ago, and I hadn’t seen them in nearly a year! I was so excited to be able to spend the holiday in Hawaii with my parents at their house. And while this wasn’t my first time in Hawaii, this was my partner’s first time in paradise! Basically, this was our dream-come-true trip, and we packed it with adventure and sunshine.

We got to spend about ten days on the island, and I took SO MANY pictures. But my mom takes home the gold medal for photographer – she took around 3,000 photos during our week and a half visit. THREE THOUSAND PHOTOS. Because there were so many adventures (and so many photos) I split the trip up into several different parts that I’ll post separately.
It’s been a joy to look through all the photos and reminisce about the amazing and incredible sights, food, fear-overcoming moments, etc. And now? I can’t wait to go back!

Day 1 – Travel to Hawaii & Sunset on Sand Island Beach

First glimpse of the island of Oahu!
First palm tree! It even had coconuts!
First smell of the ocean air!
I could listen to the sound of the ocean waves all day…
First steps on the sand and in the ocean!

We went straight from the airport to the beach! Within two minutes of stepping off the plane, we were peeling off our jackets and sweaters that we would no longer need for the next week and a half. The feeling of warm sand and cool salt water on my feet was better than my dreams! And I haven’t seen the sunset (or the sun for that matter…) in what feels like months.
Side Note: There are stray cats everywhere on the island. We saw dishes of cat food people had left out to feed them. My mom explained that the cats are part of the island ohana.

There are wild cats EVERYWHER on the island!

Day 2 – Sunrise at Lanikai Pillbox, Halona Blowhole, Swimming & Sunset at Waikiki Beach

Red dirt trail leading up the initial part of Lanikai Pillbox hike
It was super windy that morning, making the grass nearly lay flat against the hill

Lanikai Pillbox Hike

The first morning, we woke up at like 5:30 am. A trip to visit my parents is not a relaxing time to be lazy on the beach. Instead, they jam-pack the time with amazing excursions. The first of which, included climbing up (and sometimes slipping back down) a muddy and tree-root-covered trail to watch the sun rise over the ocean at the Lanikai Pillbox.
There are pillboxes scattered around the island, which are small concrete military bunkers that were used as lookout points. Since they were built at ideal vantage points, they have now become hiking destinations, for their beautiful panoramic views.

Sun rising over the ocean, illuminating the Mokes and the landscape
View of the two Mokes from Lanikai Pillbox Hike
Our first of MANY pillboxes on the island
View from the First Lanikai Pillbox
A gorgeous view of a sandy beach bay, lush greenery and an impressive ridgeline in the distance
View of the Mokes in full daylight as we headed back further up the trail
View from the second pillbox on the trail

Beach Tour

After we came down from the hike, we walked to Lanikai Beach. We didn’t get in the water there, because there was a safety warning. You could see a bunch of Man of War (jellyfish-looking polyps) washed up on the beach. The sand at Lanikai Beach was the most powdery sand I’ve ever felt. It was like walking on powdered sugar!
After walking along the first beach of the day, we got yummy breakfast burritos from Kalapawai Market. Then loaded back into my parent’s car and they gave us the grand tour of several more beaches and sights.

Makapu’u Lighthouse

The Makapu’u Lighthouse is the easternmost point on Oahu. We didn’t hike the actual trail to the lighthouse, but we got a gorgeous view of it from a distance.

Makapu’u Lighthouse in the Distance

Sandy Beach

Sandy Beach is an impressive display of the ocean’s power. The waves crash down onto the shore, making it perfect for body surfing, but only if you know what you’re doing. We kept walking beyond sandy beach, traipsing over lava rocks and tidepools.

Waves crash in through gaps in the lava rock

Heart Wall

About a 10 minute walk past Sandy Beach, we found what is known as the “Heart Wall”. People over the years have collected rocks and corral in the shape of a heart and placed them along the rock wall. It was so romantic <3

Heart Wall

Halona Blowhole

Since we walked down the beach and along the rocks to Halona Blowhole, we actually climbed right up to it, rather than looking down on it from the viewpoint on the road (like normal tourists do lol.) We got up close and personal with this majestic natural wonder. There are natural lava tubes or caves that form as the molten lava flows and cools. When water comes crashing under the lava rock shelf and through the lava tube, it gets blown out through a hole in the lava rock floor. The blowhole looks and sounds like a giant whale’s blowhole!

Halona Blowhole – there she blows!
Halona Blowhole in the distance

Waikiki Beach

Waikiki Beach is probably one of the most touristy places in all of Oahu. It’s full of shops, surfers and sunshine. There are giant banyan trees, and in the evening, what sounds like hundreds of birds sing from within their leaves and branches.

These Banyan Trees are Full of Super Loud & Beautiful Birds

Of course, we couldn’t pass up the chance to try pineapple dole whip in Hawaii! It’s like a super creamy pineapple-flavored sorbet. It reminded me of a tropical version of vegan ice cream.

Pineapple Dole Whip!

This was our first time getting full immersed in the water on this trip. I was hesitant because in Oregon, the Pacific Ocean never gets warmer than freezing. And Hawaii shares the same ocean. But miraculously, the water wasn’t cold! It wasn’t warm per say, but it was totally refreshing and after I started swimming around, I never wanted to get out!

Swimming in the Pacific Ocean at Waikiki Beach!
Surfboard lockers at Waikiki Beach

That concludes the recap of Day 1 and Day 2 in Oahu. Stay tuned for more! 🙂

33 thoughts on “Holiday in Hawaii – Dec 2020 – Part 1

1. I want to visit Hawaii so bad! How far is it from you? Its 12 hours from Boston! One day! It looks amazing! Do the wildcats leave people alone or are they dangerous?

I hope you get to go!! it’s about a 5 1/2 hour flight from Oregon to Hawaii.
      The cats are all pretty skidding it seems actually. They’ll be laying down and if you get too close, they’ll usually just run away. They’re all super cute

1. Not bad of a flight. Super cool! I cant wait to read part too! My. Number one destination to visit in the states! Thanks for sharing

Not bad at all, especially when they give you free movies and shows to watch on your phone during the flight!
          I hope you get to visit, it’s a very diverse country! Where do you live?

Thank you!! Standing at the Halona blowhole literally felt like standing on the back of whale, waiting for water to shoot out of its blowhole!!

2. Mizou – My Name is Mizou, and I've dreamed a lot about travelling. It's a great pleasure for me to share my posts with you. I hope you'll enjoy reading them.
    Mizou says:

Wow !!! Beautiful !!! Love it!

Thank you!!

3. Alison – Perth – Hi A nanny of two and a mum of two adult children, mum to two fur babies and wife of one. I love to travel and up until recently travelled the world, now exploring Western Australia! I play bridge, board games, read dance and blog in my spare time.
    Alison says:

Looks amazing.. how lucky that your parents live in paradise

Thank you! Yes, I am so grateful they got this opportunity AND that we got to visit them while they are living there for a couple more years

Thank you so much!! I have just as much fun sharing them!!

I hope you get to make it someday!!

Thank you!!!

4. Wow such beautiful pictures of Oahu, not been to this island but have visited Maui many years ago , it is indeed a beautiful place ! I am sure you had a great time.

Thank you! I definitely would love to visit all the islands of Hawaii some day. I hear they are all different and unique.

2. strawberryandcream – Hello! I am on an epic adventure to learn how to cook and bake. So far I have only given myself food poisoning twice and made myself sick about a half a dozen other times. I am notorious for making poor substitutions, being clumsy in the kitchen & getting sent to the ER, and creating food that just looks downright nasty. But alas! I will prevail and learn how to master the art of feeding myself! :)

What was Maui like! What did you get to do there?

1. Maui was really awesome we loved the beach and stayed close to kaanapali beach ,my kids were little at that time so we mostly spent time doing fun activities with them .We also took a submarine ride , train ride in a plantation , went to one of their traditional feast and watched their dances etc. Hope to visit again and
        other islands as well.

That sounds so fun, that’s wonderful! I definitely want to visit more of the islands as well

5. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

To say Hawaii is beautiful is an understatement. My heart was absolutely filled with sunshine and happiness just looking at these views. The natural world makes for a spectacular home. I’m glad you and your partner enjoyed the visit with your parents. Nothing better than a jam packed trip where you make the most of all your time.

Aww I’m so glad to hear that! Thank you! The natural and untouched beauty on the island is breathtaking. And I agree, the more memories made and experiences shared, the better!

6. OH EM GEE! These photos make me feel like I’m IN HAWAII RIGHT NOW! That beautiful sunshine and turquoise water is so magical! I can’t wait to read the upcoming parts!

Thank you!!! The sunshine and the turquoise water were definitely some of my favorite sights because we don’t get to see much of either here in Oregon during this time of year. I can’t wait to share more!

7. Lani – Lani V. Cox is an Asian American gypsy who has lived on three continents. She’s been an archaeologist, Waldorf teacher, and worked for a company that shipped large animals around the world. Currently, she lives in Thailand.
    Lani says:

So jealous. 2020 was my year go back home (to Oahu) to see my mom and then fly together to TN to hang out with my brother and his family. Glad you liked it tho’ 🙂 and enjoyed seeing it through your lens, xo

I hope you get to go back home soon! The travel precautions were really strict and I’m so grateful for my time there. Where is home for you on Oahu?

1. Lani – Lani V. Cox is an Asian American gypsy who has lived on three continents. She’s been an archaeologist, Waldorf teacher, and worked for a company that shipped large animals around the world. Currently, she lives in Thailand.
        Lani says:

Mililani, the center of the island, born and raised. Where are your parents at?

Nice! That’s kind of like your name :p
          My parents are on Fort Shafter

Lani says:

Yes, that was good of you to catch that. You might have noticed a lot of ‘lani’s on the island. It’s a common Hawaiian word/name. Our last great Queen was a Liliokalani … ‘lani’ means heaven or sky 🙂

Ft Shafter – yes, I know the place, not a bad area. My dad was in the Air Force and then my next ‘dad’ in the Army, so I’ve been to all the military bases on the island!

Wow I didn’t know the history and meaning behind the name “lani” – that is so beautiful!

My favorite part of fort shafter (besides my parents of course) was the wild piggies that run around!