Holiday in Hawaii – December 2020 – Part 2

Day 3 – Green World Coffee Farm, Snorkeling at Shark’s Cove, Matsumoto Shave Ice, Sunset at Barber’s Point Lighthouse

Welcome back to Holiday in Hawaii – December 2020. 🙂 Here’s Part 2! We did so much on Day 3 that I could only fit the recap of one day into this post!

If you missed Part 1 – Read It Here!
Stay tuned Part 3 of this incredible adventure!

Green World Coffee Farm

Our first stop of the morning on Day 3 was Green World Coffee Farm on Oahu’s North Shore. I treated myself to their golden milk latte, which included turmeric and coconut MCT oil in it. It was delicious AND healthy! They roast all their coffee on the farm, so the shop inside smelled incredible. We taste-tested one of their freshly roasted and brewed holidays blends, and while I’m not normally a fan of plain black coffee, this stuff was undeniably good!
We walked around the farm a bit and were greeted by chickens! It was an equally energizing and peaceful way to start the morning.

Green World Coffee Farm!
Freshly Roasted & Brewed Coffee
Coffee Bean Roasting Machine
Coffee Beans!
Caffeinated Chickens!

Snorkeling at Shark’s Cove

Confession – Before this trip I held onto a debilitating fear: being in the water with fish. I went snorkeling eight years ago and I thought I was going to be eaten alive by fish! But I didn’t want this fear to stop me from having an enjoyable and adventurous time with my family. So I gave myself a pep talk: “Carissa, if a fish tries to eat you, you can just punch it and eat sushi in front of it. It’s going to be ok, you’re not going to die…

Lo and behold, once I got in the beautiful lagoon water, I wasn’t hyperventilating and screaming! Yippee! By facing my fear head-on and keeping my cool, I found out something I never knew about myself. I LOVE SNORKELING! I even want to get my scuba diving certification now!

Shark’s Cove with Big Waves
Romantic View of Shark’s Cove
Ready for the Water! Wet Suits Helped Us Stay Warm & Buoyant
Surf Board Stuck in a Tree from the Last Storm… (jk)

Waimea Bay

After just a couple minutes in the car driving away from Shark’s Cove, my mom pulled off to the side of the road across from a church and told us to get out and walk down to get a glimpse of the famous Waimea Bay. This bay is home to one of the world’s biggest surfing competitions known as The Eddie. While Winter is the time of the massive waves and surf competitions, the water was calm when we saw it. Wouldn’t it be so exhilarating to watch the surf competition in person?!

Waimea Bay, Home to Surf Competitions
View of the Ocean Past Waimea Bay

Refreshing Matsumoto Shave Ice

As you may know, facing and overcoming a fear can be quite draining. All that swimming while the ocean waves were shoving me directly into sea urchin-infested rocks took all the energy out of me that the coffee had provided earlier in the day. And you can’t truly appreciate the food in Hawaii without enjoying shave ice! We went to Matsumoto Shave Ice, which I think is the most popular shave ice on North Shore. Shave ice is sort of like a snow cone, but the ice is so fine that it melts in your mouth like cotton candy! It’s the best.

Matsumoto Shave Ice – Yum!
The Colors of the Shave Ice Matched the Neon Rainbow Light

Mokule’ia Beach Park

In the late afternoon, we drove to Mokule’ia Beach Park and watched impressive kite surfers ride the wind and the waves. It was a really interesting beach because it went from sand to slippery algae-covered rock that lead at least 10 feet into the water. We watched in amazement at the kite surfers way out in the ocean.

Kite Surfer at Mokule’ia Beach Park
These Rocks Were Super Slippery!

Sunset at Barber’s Point Lighthouse

To end the day, we followed the sun to watch it set with all its glorious colors. We drove out to Barber’s Point Lighthouse and walked along the sharp and jagged rocks to find the perfect spot to watch the sun fall behind the ocean.
If you’ve ever watched the sun set over the horizon, it’s pretty amazing how fast it seems to set. Even though the sun travels at the same speed the entire day, during the last 10 minutes as the sun makes its way down, it seems to move so fast that you can actually watch it fall.

Barber’s Point Lighthouse
Where There is Ocean Access Here, There are Fishermen
Heart Shaped Tide Pool <3
The Reflection of the Sun on the Water is Amazing
Look. At. Those. Colors.
SPLASH! The Waves Constantly Pummel These Rocks
Sunset is so Peaceful
After the Sun Dips Behind the Horizon, the Colors are Brilliant Shades of the Pink, Gold, Purple & Orange
As the Sun Sets, the Moon Rises

We saw these glorious plumeria flowers on our walk back to the car from the light house. These flowers smell absolutely incredible! They make all kinds of lotions, candles, etc. with plumeria scent. And it’s so gorgeous when ladies wear them in their hair. <3

If you missed Part 1 – Read It Here.
Stay tuned Part 3 of this incredible adventure!

Fragrant and Beautiful Plumeria Flowers

23 thoughts on “Holiday in Hawaii – December 2020 – Part 2

Thank you!! I hope we all get to travel more easily and safely soon!

Lol! Wouldn’t that be fun!?

Thank you!!

1. CarolCooks2 – Udon Thani – Enjoying life in The Land Of Smiles I am having so much fun researching, finding new, authentic recipes both Thai and International to share with you. New recipes gleaned from those who I have met on my travels or are just passing through and stopped for a while. I hope you enjoy them. I love shopping at the local markets, finding fresh, natural ingredients, new strange fruits and vegetable ones I have never seen or cooked with. I am generally the only European person and attract much attention and I love to try what I am offered and when I smile and say Aroy or Saab as it is here in the north I am met with much smiling. Some of my recipes may not be in line with traditional ingredients and methods of cooking but are recipes I know and have become to love and maybe if you dare to try you will too. You will always get more than just a recipe from me as I love to research and find out what other properties the ingredients I use contain to improve our health and wellbeing. This is now taking me into other areas like deforestation, chemicals and preservatives in the food chain. Exciting for me hence the title of my blog, Retired No One Told Me! I am having a wonderful ride and don’t want to get off, so if you wish to follow me on my adventures, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the ride also and if it encourages you to take a step into the unknown or untried, you know you want to…….Then, I will be happy!
    CarolCooks2 says:

Awesome images Hawaii looks so beautiful…Loved the coffee place 🙂

Thank you!! The coffee farm was a really neat place, especially with the chickens

2. boundlessblessingsblog – Follow me on Instagram (@boundlessblessings) for latest updates, and I will follow you back. I am a humane being and just love to post motivational messages that bring boundless blessings to one and all in a universe which is so friendly and beautiful
    boundlessblessingsblog says:

Superb post thank you so much for the virtual tour.

Thank you!! I’m glad you enjoyed reading it I had fun writing it and reminiscing the memories
      I’ve been watching virtual tours of museums like the Louvre that they put up at the beginning of the pandemic!

3. Markus + Micah – We are Markus + Micah. We live in a tiny house by the sea, grow our plants, cook plant-based food, travel, and design wellness retreats and mindful programs so we can all live meaningful lives.
    Markus + Micah says:

Lovely! Really envy you right now. Enjoy your holiday!

Thank you!! Can’t wait to travel more once things open up again Happy holidays to you too!

Thank you!! An unforgettable time with family

4. Lani – Lani V. Cox is an Asian American gypsy who has lived on three continents. She’s been an archaeologist, Waldorf teacher, and worked for a company that shipped large animals around the world. Currently, she lives in Thailand.
    Lani says:

Gorgeous lush shots ~ you’ve hit my part of the island The North Shore! Waimea Bay, Shark’s Cove, Matsumoto’s shaved ice <3 Glad you did it justice and happy you liked it! xo

Thank you, that means a lot!! Hawaii has a very complex history and it was interesting to learn a bit about it while being there.
      Is there anything that you wish people who visit Oahu knew about the island?

1. Lani – Lani V. Cox is an Asian American gypsy who has lived on three continents. She’s been an archaeologist, Waldorf teacher, and worked for a company that shipped large animals around the world. Currently, she lives in Thailand.
        Lani says:

Hmmm. Good question. We’re diverse but we also fight too, but at the end of the day, we live together mostly in harmony. I think these days with multiculturalism such a hot topic many seem to believe it’s all rainbows and sparkles, but realistically it’s a mixed bag.

This reminds me of my reaction to a NYT’s article: https://lanivcox.com/2019/07/29/my-reaction-to-want-to-be-less-racist-move-to-hawaii/

I almost want to ask my friends about your question!

That makes sense, a lot of different people from different parts of the world and from different cultures call Hawaii their home.
          Thank you for sharing that article, I look forward to reading it!

Lani says:

No pressure, it just reminded me of the answer to your question. 😛

I know, right! No stopping my mom when she’s on a mission to pack the day with adventures!

5. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

What a brilliant holiday! The vibrancy of these photos is astounding. Seriously, they deserve to be framed! Green World Coffee Farm sounds like a real treat for a coffee lover! I’m more of a basic iced latte kinda gal but I can appreciate the hot coffee process. Black coffee does wake you up, that’s for sure! Turmeric lattes have brilliant antibacterial and immune boosting properties so you chose well. Just as good as a green smoothie! x

Thank you!!! I printed a bunch to put in a photo album! Sometimes holding the photos in a book seems a little more special than swiping through them on my phone

I’m not a huge coffee fan but when it’s fresh and local, I can’t refuse! Wow I didn’t know turmeric lattes were that healthy!
      I had a CBD oil latte here in Portland one time, I think it also had a bunch of health benefits Have you ever tried it before!
      Yes, smoothies are my go-to
      I hope you are having a wonderful and joyful holiday season!