Carrot Galette with Carrot Top Pesto

Joyeux noel, my friends! Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to you! Behold, the carrot galette with carrot top pesto! Buttery, flaky pie crust envelopes sweet roasted carrots on a bed of creamy hummus, drizzled with tangy carrot top pesto. Voila, a Christmas dish for you! This recipe is perfect for Christmas this year because it’s not only delicious and impressive – it feeds a smaller crowd for our smaller gatherings this year.

It was so hard not to eat all the roasted carrots when they came out of the oven. I mean, come on! My will power is already stretched way past its limit, holding myself back from devouring every last Christmas cookie and slice of stollen we’ve baked… 🙂

Overall, this carrot galette may be one of the healthiest things I ate this season.
It contains…
– veggies (hi, carrots AND carrot tops)
– protein (mmm, hummus)
– pie crust (this isn’t “healthy” buuuut what’s a holiday without pie, right?)

Reduce Food Waste

Using the carrot top greens in the pesto is a great way to reduce food waste. Normally the carrot tops are discarded – hopefully in your compost, but more often they end up in the trash. Carrot top pesto is super delicious! And check this out – the bitter green carrot tops contain about six times more vitamin C than the carrot root! Plus, carrot tops add potassium and calcium to your diet. Save the planet AND get healthy! Yah!

I love learning about ways to reduce my food waste. Let me know if you have any ways that you reduce food waste in your own kitchen! <3

Sweet VS. Savory

To me, this time of year between Thanksgiving and Christmas is all about the sweets. My inner six-year-old with a severe sweet tooth breaks loose and the cookies, pies, tarts, cakes, brownies, and gingerbread men seem to find their way into my belly. I really have no idea how it happens!
This carrot galette with the carrot top pesto is a welcome savory break. The roasted carrots provide just a touch of natural sugars, while the hummus, carrot top pesto and pie crust balance it with savory, acidic and salty flavors. The pie crust I made is from Erin McDowell’s all buttah pie dough recipe.

If you’re still hungry for more Christmas sweets (New Year’s Resolutions haven’t started yet, right??) then try my Cranberry Cinnamon Roll Wreath!
Enjoy!! <3

Carrot Galette with Carrot Top Pesto

Buttery, flaky pie crust envelopes healthy roasted carrots and creamy, nutty hummus in this delicious carrot galette. Reduce food waste by using the carrot top greens in a bright and zingy carrot top pesto to drizzle on this savory treat!
Course Main Course, Side Dish
Cuisine American, French
Keyword carrot, carrot galette, carrot top pesto, christmas baking, easy pie, free form pie, galette, holiday baking, homemade pesto, homemade pie, hummus, pie crust, pie dough, reduce food waste, roasted carrots, vegetarian
Prep Time 35 minutes
Cook Time 55 minutes
Servings 6 people
Author strawberryandcream

Ingredients

Pie Dough

• cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 pinch fine ground sea salt
  • 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, cut into ½ cubes and refrigerated to keep cold
  • ¼ cup cold water, with a couple ice cubes in it

Roasted Carrots

• 2 pounds small carrots
  • 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tsp fine ground sea salt
  • ½ tsp ground black pepper
  • ½ tsp garlic powder
  • ¼ tsp paprika

Carrot Top Pesto and Hummus

• 2 cups carrot top greens (from 2 lbs carrots)
  • cup extra virgin olive oil
  • cup pine nuts or macadamia nuts
  • 2 Tbsp lemon juice
  • ¼ tsp fine ground sea salt
  • ¼ tsp ground black pepper
  • ¼ tsp garlic powder
  • 2 cups hummus, either homemade or store bought

Instructions

Pie Dough

• In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour and salt together.
  • Add the cold butter cubes and coat them with flour. Rub your fingers on each dough cube to flatten them and break them into about the size of walnut-halves (thank you, Erin McDowell).
  • Add the ice cold water one tablespoon at a time, until it comes together enough to hold its shape when you squeeze some dough in your hand. If the dough falls apart after you squeeze it, add another tablespoon of water, mix it in and try again.
  • Using your hands, shape the dough into a thick disc and wrap it in plastic cling wrap. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or up to two days if you're making the dough in advance.

Roasted Carrots

• While the pie dough chills, make the roasted carrots.
    Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  • Scrub all the carrots to remove the dirt. Cut the tops off (save the tops in a bowl for the pesto.) Cut the carrots into ½-inch thick strips
  • Lay out the carrots on a baking sheet. Drizzle the olive oil on top and sprinkle on the seasonings. Using your hands, mix the oil and seasonings into all the carrots. Spread out the carrots on the baking sheet so none are overlapping.
  • Bake the carrots for about 10-15 minutes, until they just start to soften and brown a bit. Let them cool down to room temperature before adding into the galette.

Carrot Top Pesto

• While the carrots roast then cool, make the pesto.
    Rinse all the carrot top greens in running water.
  • In a food processor or blender, add all the pesto ingredients and blend until it's at a desirable consistency (about 5 minutes). Scrape down the sides periodically, to make sure all the greens and nuts get chopped up.
    Refrigerate until ready to use.

Carrot Galette

• Preheat the oven to 400°F.
  • Lightly dust a work surface with flour. Roll out the pie dough until it is a 15-inches wide circle.
  • Dollop the hummus onto the galette and spread it out with a spatula, to about 2 inches inside the edge of the pie dough.
  • Lay the carrots on top of the hummus. Gently pull the edges of the pie dough up and over the carrots, pinching the edges of the dough together.
  • Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the crust is a deep golden brown color. Let the galette cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing and serving.

19 thoughts on “Carrot Galette with Carrot Top Pesto

Hahaha! Don’t bite your phone!! just bake yourself one of these

Thank you!! I like trying new ways to reduce food waste AND get more nutrients! Merry Christmas!!

1. singingandsauerkraut – Hello, I'm Josh! I am a writer and singer based in Germany. I like to write about lifestyle, longevity and health, as well as about the arts and opera in Germany
    singingandsauerkraut says:

Thanks for the carrot top pesto tip!

You bet!

2. Markus + Micah – We are Markus + Micah. We live in a tiny house by the sea, grow our plants, cook plant-based food, travel, and design wellness retreats and mindful programs so we can all live meaningful lives.
    Markus + Micah says:

Oh wow, thank you for sharing. This is so new and lovely and nutritious. Love everything about it. Happy Christmas!

Thank you for reading! It was super tasty, I definitely recommend trying it! This was my first time making pie crust and Erin McDowell’s recipe is basically fool proof! Happy Christmas to you both!

3. I really enjoy reading how you are making holiday “treats” that aren’t full of sugar and that are healthy for you.
    Thank you for showing us all that we can have a yummy sweet dish with veggies. I can’t wait to try this!

Thank you!! Yes, no sugar There is quite a bit of butter but hey, “know fat, know flavor” right!?

4. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

What a unique recipe! This looks healthy and beyond delicious. How could it get any better?

Aww thank you!! I do hope you get to try it!! Merry Christmas to you and your whole family!

5. Deeksha Pathak – I like reading, watching movies, listening to music, doing some art and craft, cooking, baking and exploring new ideas. Baking is my new passion!!
    Deeksha Pathak says:

Carrots are sliced so beautifully! Loved your recipe and irresistible pictures

Thank you!! I’m still trying to figure out how to get the photos to look good with dark backgrounds

1. Deeksha Pathak – I like reading, watching movies, listening to music, doing some art and craft, cooking, baking and exploring new ideas. Baking is my new passion!!
        Deeksha Pathak says:

Yes, dark background enhances food photos a lot!

6. Nourish – Nourish is all about wholesome food preparation for those with disordered eating. Our mission is to provide delicious recipes anyone can make at home, along with education and support for individuals recovering from eating disorders and their caregivers.
    Nourish says:

Hi there. We want to let you know that we’ve nominated you for Sunshine Blogger Award. Check out the nomination here: https://thenourishcookbook.com/2020/12/30/sunshine-blogger-award/

7. the Painted Apron – Life is all about creativity for me, as long as I'm creating something I am happy! I hope I will inspire your daily life and give you ideas for your own wonderful creations!
    the Painted Apron says:

This sounds AMAZING! Very creative, I’m putting it on my bucket list!
    Jenna

Hi Jenna, thank you so much, that means a lot!!!

Also, what else is on your bucket list?