Candied Cranberry Crepes

One Food for the Rest of Your Life…

If you could only eat one food for the rest of your entire life, what would it be? I would choose crepes every time. There are endless flavor possibilities with these French staples! If you’ve never had crepes before, they are like super thin pancakes with a much more sophisticated and richer flavor. Crepe batter can be made out of white flour, whole wheat, buckwheat, rice flour, etc. You can also add flavors into the batter, like spices or blended herbs. And the fillings?! Fruit with yogurt. Caramelized onions and mushrooms. Mediterranean-style, you name it! Whatever your heart desires can be rolled up or folded into a crepe, my friends. And for a little sour zing in my crepes (and to use up the leftover cranberries from my cranberry cinnamon roll wreath) I made candied cranberry crepes!

Breakfast in Bed with Crepes

Have you ever made crepe batter before? If not, it can be a bit finicky and tricky. But I usually follow a simple Betty Crocker recipe that turns out delicious crepes every time. The trick is all in the hand and wrist action to spread the batter thin and even on a hot skillet. Check out Jacques Pepin (the master of all things French) make crepes and after some practice, I’m sure you’ll be a pro!

Throughout my entire elementary school career, we would enjoy crepes together as a family on Sundays. My sister and I would climb into bed with my mom early in the morning as we heard my dad bustling away in the kitchen downstairs. Eventually, my Dad would come up to their bedroom loaded with a tray of fresh crepes and a birthday candle lit, and we’d all sing “happy birthday” to my mom. A birthday every single week celebrated with breakfast in bed? Not a bad life, if you ask me! Maybe I should start that tradition for my own self, starting with these candied cranberry crepes?

Candied Cranberry Crepes

Add a little tart zing to the perfect breakfast-in-bed crepes! Candied cranberries add a pop of flavor and juiciness to these delicate and buttery crepes.
Course Breakfast
Cuisine French
Keyword Betty Crocker recipe, breakfast in bed, brunch, candied cranberries, cranberries fruit, cranberry, crepe batter, crepe filling, fresh crepes, simple crepe batter
Prep Time 25 minutes

• 2 large eggs
  • 2 Tbsp butter
  • 1 cup yogurt or non-dairy yogurt of your preference
  • 1 banana, sliced

Instructions

Candied Cranberries

• Rinse and dry the cranberries.
  • In a small sauce pan, add ½ cup water and ½ cup of the sugar. Bring to a simmer on medium heat.
    Stir in the cranberries to fully coat them.
  • Drain the cranberries from the syrup.
    Note: you can reserve the syrup for drizzling on top of your crepes!
    Spread out the cranberries on a baking sheet to dry for at least one hour, or overnight.
  • Roll the cranberries in the remaining ½ cup of sugar. Set aside to add in the crepes.

Betty Crocker's Crepes

• In mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
  • Beat in the milk (or non-dairy milk), vanilla and eggs until the batter is smooth.
  • Find a non-stick skillet that is the size of the crepes you'd like to make.
    With the skillet on medium heat, melt the butter.
    Pour the melted butter from the skillet into the batter and return the skillet to the stove top.
    Mix in the melted butter to the batter.
  • Take a paper towel and fold it into a square. Rub a flat end of the square inside the skillet, to mop up the remaining melted butter. In between each crepe, wipe the skillet with this buttered paper towel, to re-coat the skillet with a little butter and to remove any bits of batter remaining from the previous crepe.
  • Using a ¼ measuring cup (for 6 to 8 inch crepes) or a ⅓ measuring cup (for 9 to 10 inch crepes), measure out the batter and pour it into the skillet with one hand, while tilting the skillet in a large circle off the stove top with the other hand, to get the crepe batter spread out as thin and evenly as possible.*
    *See blog for YouTube link for further instructions.
  • After about a minute or two once the crepe looks golden brown, use a thin spatula to flip it over. Cook on the other side for another minute or two until it is also golden brown. Repeat until you've used up all the batter, wiping the skillet with your buttered paper towel in between each crepe.
    Stack each crepe as it is finished on a plate with wax paper between each one and keep them covered under a kitchen towel until they're ready to be assembled.
    To assemble these candied cranberry crepes, Lay one crepe on a plate. Spread a few dollops of yogurt in the center and layer on some fresh banana slices and a small handful of the candied cranberries. Fold the crepe in half, then roll it up. Voila!

18 thoughts on “Candied Cranberry Crepes

1. infinitelyadaydreamer – Sydney – hey there, I'm Maryam! A minimalist, intersectional feminist, lifestyle + wellness blogger and creatively driven teen from sunny Sydney. I'm an aspiring interior designer and self proclaimed iced coffee fanatic. Welcome to infinitelyadaydreamer, a home for all my internal musings. I hope you'll stay a while x

If I could only eat one food for the rest of my life.. hmm. Probably these cranberry crepes because they look that delicious!

Aww hehe! Thank you! Have you tried crepes before?

2. Nourish – Nourish is all about wholesome food preparation for those with disordered eating. Our mission is to provide delicious recipes anyone can make at home, along with education and support for individuals recovering from eating disorders and their caregivers.
    Nourish says:

Sign us up! These crepes look incredible!

Haha! Thank you! Let me know if you make them!

Haha!! Heck, how about crepes EVERY morning!?

3. Markus + Micah – We are Markus + Micah. We live in a tiny house by the sea, grow our plants, cook plant-based food, travel, and design wellness retreats and mindful programs so we can all live meaningful lives.
    Markus + Micah says:

Love crepes. I am with you on eating it every day!

Haha yes!! Do you have a favorite type/filling for your crepes?

1. Markus + Micah – We are Markus + Micah. We live in a tiny house by the sea, grow our plants, cook plant-based food, travel, and design wellness retreats and mindful programs so we can all live meaningful lives.
        Markus + Micah says:

Mangoes and cream!

Woah I’ve never tried that before! That sounds so yummy and tropical!

Ooh I highly recommend it!! Let me know if you try them!

4. indianeskitchen – I love family, cooking, crafts, animals, nature and working with mentally and physically challenged adults.
    Diane says:

I don’t know what I like better, Betty Crocker recipes or crepes! Yours turn out perfect! Thank you for sharing.

Aww thank you!! Betty Crocker never fails

5. paintdigi – Casablanca - Maroc – Artist amateur specialty: Digital Painting. university research scientist, I test to enjoy my experience in classical drawing for years, my technical and scientific knowledge -aussi- of my training, methodological, psycho-philosophical ..to choose my subjects, my features and my colors. 68 years old, I live in Casablanca - Morocco
    paintdigi says:

your blog is very beautiful … Bravo .

Aww thank you!!!!

1. paintdigi – Casablanca - Maroc – Artist amateur specialty: Digital Painting. university research scientist, I test to enjoy my experience in classical drawing for years, my technical and scientific knowledge -aussi- of my training, methodological, psycho-philosophical ..to choose my subjects, my features and my colors. 68 years old, I live in Casablanca - Morocco
        paintdigi says: