Gluten Free Rice Flour Shells
The rice flour taco shells of these vegan roasted cauliflower tacos are one of my favorite vessels for food. They are made with white rice flour, making them gluten free AND extra pliable. This means you can stuff the tacos to the brim and they won’t fall apart like other types of shells. Maximum capacity, is how I’d describe these. 🌮😎😋 The recipe for these amazing rice flour tortillas is from the cookbook, Happy Gut Cookbook by Cecile Hauge Ȧgotnes. I first made rice flour shells to go with chicken and lime street tacos, and they really are the best taco shells, in my opinion.
If you have extra shells, store them in an airtight container at room temperature for the following day’s tacos!
Roasted Cauliflower and all the Fixings
The roasting process gives vegetables a sweet, smoky flavor that cannot be beat. Just a half hour in the oven turns cauliflower and onion from blah to yahhhhh! 😍 The veggies become caramelized, adding delectable layers of flavor to your taco game. Hit it all with some ripe kimchi and spicy mayo and BAM you got yourself an Asian-fusion masterpiece.
The kimchi on these vegan roasted cauliflower tacos was made by my adorable Korean Grandma. We like our kimchi ripe – when you open the jar, it should smack you in the face just a little.
If you make your own spicy mayo at home, kudos to you! A lot of times I’ll save extra sauce I get from burger places or other restaurants to put on my homemade dishes. 🤫🤭 But when I do have to purchase a bottle from the grocery store, I look for one with minimal ingredients. And at all costs, avoid high fructose corn syrup!!
Feed Me Tacos
Hungry for more tacos? Check these out:
– Korean bulgogi tacos
– Thai-style tacos with fresh corn tortillas
– Chicken and lime street tacos
– Crissy Teigen’s Chicken Lettuce Wraps (basically healthier tacos)
Cauliflower shawarma tacos from Molly Yeh’s cookbook Molly on the Range inspired these tacos. Molly makes some of the most unique and delicious tacos, inspiring unorthodox and creative flavor combos.
Roasted Cauliflower Tacos (Gluten Free)
Rice Flour Tacos (from Happy Gut Cookbook)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp neutral oil, like vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1 head cauliflower, with the florets trimmed off and cut into half-bite-size pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped into half-bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 1 tsp ground or minced ginger
- ⅓ cup sauce for topping, like spicy mayo
- ½ cup kimchi for topping
Make the Rice Flour Taco Shells
- Mix together the water, oil and salt in a small saucepan. Bring everything to a boil on medium-high heat. Right before it boils, add the flour and whisk it continuously until there is no visible dry flour.
- Scrape the dough out of the saucepan onto a plate or a clean counter.Divide the dough in 8 even pieces. Roll each into a ball and flatten it between two cutting boards or baking sheets to create the tortilla shapes.
- Heat a dry skillet on medium-high heat and cook the tortillas for a few minutes on each side, until they are dry and golden. Wrap the cooked tortillas in a clean towel to keep them warm.
Make the Fillings for the Tacos
- Preheat the oven to 420°F.
- Cover the cauliflower florets and chopped onion with the olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne and ginger. Spread out the seasoned cauliflower and onion on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 25 to 35 minutes, until the cauliflower is tender when pierced with a fork and the onion is caramelized.
- To serve, pile on the roasted cauliflower and onion on a rice flour tortilla. Top with spicy mayo and kimchi. Enjoy!