This recipe for easy tuna and cauliflower rice is so simple and quick! The tuna mixture can be combined in a few short minutes. The cauliflower rice takes just about 15 minutes if you’re making it from scratch with a whole head of cauliflower. But if you really want to make this simple and easy-peasy, just buy a bag of frozen cauliflower rice!
Tuna is inexpensive and available in most stores, since it can be canned or packaged to prolong its shelf life. And when you eat tuna, you get a healthy dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Just 3 ounces of tuna packs a punch of about 25 grams of protein! And at only about 110 calories, tuna is a low-cost, low-calorie, high-protein source of nutrition.
It is very important to note that tuna is a commonly over-fished animal. I like to refer to the site Seafood Watch to know which tuna is the safest to buy both for the environment and the fishieees. 🐟
There are two ways to make cauliflower rice. The quickest way is to buy a bag of frozen cauliflower rice from the store and just nuke it in the microwave. The longer (but in my opinion, more delicious) method is to pulverize a head of cauliflower in a food processor, then cook that on the stove in some butter or olive oil. And one of the great things about cauliflower rice is that is stays nice and soft in the fridge after a few days, unlike grain rice which can get hard and crunchy in the fridge after just one day.
Cauliflower can also make a great substitute for mashed potatoes. Just sauté some cut-up cauliflower in butter. Then add water and salt and boil the cauliflower for about 10 minutes, until it’s soft. Drain the liquid and mash it all up into a delicious, creamy side dish without adding any “cream”!
This recipe is super easy to meal prep. Portion out the tuna & bell pepper mixture and the cauliflower rice into airtight containers. Top each portion with sliced avocado and a wedge of lime. These easy tuna & cauliflower rice meals are great when eaten cold from the fridge, or after being heated for a minute in the microwave.
Easy Tuna & Cauliflower Rice
Tuna Taco Bowls
- 10 oz tuna, packaged or canned
- 2 roughly diced bell peppers (your colors of choice)
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt, plus more for topping on each bowl
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes (optional, to add some heat)
- 1 avocado, sliced, for topping
- 1 lime, cut into wedges, for topping
Simple Cauliflower Rice
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp salt
- To a large mixing bowl, add the tuna, roughly diced bell peppers, Greek yogurt, salt, pepper and chili flakes. Mix everything together and set aside.
- Cut up a head of cauliflower and pulverize it in a food processor or blender until it is fine and no large chunks remain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.Drop the minced garlic into the oil and cook for a minute too, until it is fragrant but before it gets browned.
- Add the pulverized cauliflower and salt, and stir everything together. Cover the skillet with a lid and cook the cauliflower until it is soft, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- To serve, add some of the tuna mixture and the cauliflower rice on a plate. Top with a few avocado slices and fresh lime juice from a slice of lime.Enjoy!